St Budock’s Parish Church, Budock Water
St. Budock’s is a very ancient parish, with probable origins as a 6th Century monestary. Budoc, himself, appears to have come to the area from France, in around 470AD.
The parish of Budock was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1085, but there is nothing now left of the Churches that stood on the present site before the 13th Century, when a Church consisting of a Chancel and Nave, with Transepts, was erected. Of this building, there remain a lancet window in the Chancel, and one, since reworked, in the Transept, plus the jambs of the Transept Arch (the Arch itself is two centuries later), and the pescina in the South wall of the Nave which may not be its original position.
This 13th century Church seems to have remained unaltered until the early 15th century, when a tower was built at the West end of the Nave. During the second half of this century the North Aisle was added, absorbing the North Transept. There is a very fine and well proportioned arcade of seven arches, supported on monolith granite piers, erected in place of the earlier North Wall. About the same time the South porch was also built.
The Screen was carved and coloured, probably during the reign of Henry VII. The Rood has been destroyed, and also the Roodloft (or Gallery over the Screen). The Screen has been cut down to the level of the transome, leaving only the Wainscot. The lower and original part of this Roodscreen is of special interest, owing to the panels which are painted with figures. Some of the upper parts of the Nave section of the Screen have been more recently restored. The Roodloft Stairway, in the angle of the Chancel and the Transept, was obliterated when the organ chamber was built.
The Screen was examined by Professor Tristram in 1948, and the painted figures carefully cleaned. There are now 23 figures, which he considers they are representations of Prophets, Apostles and Female Martyrs.
The Churchwardens’ Staves are carved to show the hand of St. Budoc. Tradition says he wished people whom he had excommunicated to receive absolution after his death, so his right hand was embalmed and used as a means of receiving a blessing. A larger figure of the hand is still in the church porch. On the floor of the Chancel is a brass memorial to John Killigrew, 1567, and on the wall are two of slates dated 1603 and 1617 to members of the same family. The names of Rectors and Vicars can be traced from AD 1208. The Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials date from 1653.
In the Churchyard, near the West door, are two small Crosses of the type usually known as “wheel crosses”. They may be 3,000 years old. They are pagan in origin, and were Christianized at a later date, perhaps in the 5th or 6th century AD. The small circular sinkings on the heads of these Crosses are known as “pit markings”, and are found only on a few Cornish Crosses, but nowhere else in the British Isles. The fact that the whole df the ornament on the two Budock Crosses is incised, shows their very ancient origin. Across the neck of one cross is an incised line, a unique feature.
On the north wall is a plaque bearing the new arms of the Borough of Falmouth granted in 1961 as a gift from the Anglican Churches of Falmouth to commemorate the tercentenary of the Borough. The Arms include the Royal Arms, the double headed black eagle of the Killigrews, a Falmouth Packet, two castles (Pendennis and St. Mawes) and tools of the shipyard. The motto “Remember” was the last word spoken by King Charles the First before his execution. Falmouth Parish Church is dedicated to King Charles the Martyr.
Rev. G. Bennett
Ms. R. G. Pengelly – 01326 372433
Mrs C Asplet – 01872 862543
Treverva Methodist Chapel
Treverva Chapel is situated on the road through the village, on the Constantine side. Sunday services are held at 11-00am.